Like most people I absolutely love a great documentary, the only thing is there really isn’t that many Fashion documentaries out there. Everyone in the fashion industry is so cautious and wary about the portrayal that most refuse to be filmed. Especially since the September Issue and The Devil Wears Prada aired. Anna Wintour was deemed an Ice Queen and most of the media took a vendetta against the Fashion Industry for being so shallow and materialistic. It took the BBC’s documentary maker Richard Macer months to convince Alexandra Shulman to agree to film the two part documentary called “Absolutely Fashion” in which he followed her everywhere for nine months of filming. Initially I did’t like Richards interview technique. In fact I hated it! He asked lots of irritating and stupid questions. But then I discovered the more I watched that was in fact what really made the Documentary such a great watch. He was looking for a reaction and to push the boundaries beyond what was allowed, so much so the documentary nearly got pulled several times by Vogue.
It’s no surprise to many the Fashion Industry is a cut throat and fickle world but incredibly fascinating at that as well. The global apparel market is valued at 3 trillion dollars and accounts for 2% of the worlds GDP. The womenswear industry is valued at 621 billion dollars. Those interested in Fashion and even those who aren’t are keen to discover what goes on behind the doors of massive couture houses and multi million dollar companies such as Vogue, LVMH, Zara so forth. For the closest of glimpses I’ve rounded off the best fashion documentaries to watch.
- Bill Cunningham New York Times Fashion Photographer
- Dries coming soon filmed over a year set to be one of the major Fashion Documentaries of 2017 https://youtu.be/Q7Sqe2DKAFo
- Dior & I with Raf Simons at the helm as Creative Director, followed by Inside Dior as Maria Grazia Chiuri takes over ahead of Fashion Week at the Parisian Atelier.
- Alexa Chung Future Of Fashion with Vogue. She explores several avenues including graduate funding and what it takes to be a designer in the competitive industry today.
- Jeremy Scott The peoples Designer. A bizarre but interesting insight into the designers mind and how he became creative director of the infamously quirky and tacky Italian fashion house Moschino.
- Iris A must watch! Iris Apfel is one of the most interesting characters in the Fashion Industry.
- Scatter My Ashes At Bergdof’s. A Look inside one of New York most Luxurious Department Store.
- Absolutely Fashion follows Alexandra Shulman around for the centenary issue of Vogue and the Cover Shoot with The Duchess of Cambridge.
- Manolo The Boy who made shoes for Lizards
- Mademoiselle C follows former editor of French Vogue Carine Roitfeld as she sets up her own publication CR Fashion Book.
- The September Issue … of course.
- The First Monday in May Anna Wintour and The Vogue team prepare for the Met Gala Ball.
- The Eye Has to Travel Diana Vreeland The real beginning of fashion editing.
- Franca Chaos & Beauty Netflix original on the one and only controversial Editor and Chief of Italian Vogue.
- Tom Ford a glimpse into the intense life of Tom Ford – designer, filmmaker, photographer and writer.