“Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment” Lee McQueen
I thought I’d put together a list of book recommendations of my favourite Fashion books. I primarily read biographies and autobiographies about designers or photographers as well as my monthly favourite magazines which include Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, ID and Image . Best Bi-annual Love Magazine by Katie Grand and CR Fashion Book by Carine Roitfeld the imagery is out of this world and worth collecting every bit as much as Vogue. It saddens me a huge amount that print world is dying out as I honestly don’t think there is any comparison between feeling the pages of fashion magazines to clicking through editorials online behind a screen. Print is my preference but I understand the need for urgency when it comes to breaking news and the internet is simply the best way for that.
I love coffee table books on Fashion, Photography and Fashion Photography. Most are quite expensive but I usually treat myself to one or two a year off Amazon and they are totally worth it! Always so much to learn and so much inspiration between the pages. Here are a few of my purchased favourites below that I would recommend. Hope you enjoy & the titles are linked to bring you to Amazon so you can shop x
- The Fashion Book highly educational and covers almost every photographer, designer, muse and model from the last 200 years in an A-Z profile. This is the first book I would start with.
- Dior by Dior an autobiography by the great Christian Dior where he shares his triumphs & tribulations.
- Inside Vogue by Alexandra Shulman ex editor of British Vogue. A wonderful and brutally honest Diary she shares her final year at Vogue for the Centenary issue highs and lows as well as the pressure of the Fashion Industry. If you want a understanding of what it’s like to work for a global publication this is it!
- Grace Coddington All three book- A Memoir, The American Vogue Years, Thirty Years Of Fashion at Vogue. Honest, whitty and beautifully put together. A true visionary and inspiration in the fashion industry. Her work transports you to other realms. She will forever by my favourite stylist and editor.
- The Coveteur Private Spaces and Personal Style endless inspiration and ideas especially if you are redecorating.
- Tim Walker His incredibly photography and originality will have you spell bound.
- Kate Moss by Kate Moss totally iconic. She is one of the longest standing supermodels in the industry and still known as one of the best in the world.
- Peter Lindberg A Different Vision Of Photography. He has shot some of the most recognised pictures in the world including the famous 1990 British Vogue Cover of the Supers.
- Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty, Unseen and Alexander McQueen by Claire Wilcox. Fascinating and captivating beyond comprehension. My favourite designer ever he changed the fashion industry forever.
10. Mario Testino One of the best fashion photographers in the world. He is one of the most recognisable and well respected in the industry.